Are you looking for a light side dish to bring on Thanksgiving or something to do with all the leftover roasted butternut squash? Look no further! I have a great and simple recipe to share with you! I made it last week. It’s tasty served warm or great to pack for lunch!!
- 2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
- 1 bag or bunch of organic kale
- 1 cup of uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups of vegetable broth
- 3-4 cups of chopped butternut squash
- Optional ¼ cup of pecans or other nuts. Pumpkin seeds would be great too!
- If your squash is uncooked pre-heat your oven to 415
- Roast squash for approximately 20 minutes in olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss your squash at least once.
- While your squash is cooking cook quinoa according to directions on your package in two cups of vegetable stock. I find this gives the quinoa more flavor.
- When squash and quinoa are cooking, prepare your kale by tearing into smaller pieces and adding 2 tablespoons of olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Massage the kale with your hand to make sure that all the kale is coated with olive oil. This will "wilt" the kale.
- Let the salad sit for at least 10 minutes and toss a couple of times.
- Once your squash and quinoa are done transfer it to the bowl with kale.
- Toss and serve and garnish with chopped pecans or other nuts
I never buy butternut squash whole. I once tried to cut and chop it and it took so much time. I am thankful for Costco chopped butternut squash. It’s one of those things that makes life that much easier!!!
Are you hosting on Thursday? Or brining a side? Do you bring something healthy or go the more traditional route? What’s on your table at Thanksgiving?