Although the first official day of winter doesn’t begin until 12/21, we are in full swing over here in Chicago. The ground is covered in snow, the plows and salt trucks have been busy making their rounds and baby it’s COLD outside! It’s safe to say that outdoor runs and workouts will not be making an appearance until March! Although who knows, maybe Mother Nature will give us a 50 degree day in January! It’s been known to happen!
If you live in Chicago then you know that the weather can be totally unpredictable.
Cold weather has me increasing my daily intake of hot beverages! Coffee in the morning followed by a late morning Starbucks meeting and always tea before bedtime!
Sara was craving some hot chocolate this weekend and while we often will hit up Starbucks on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon, no one really wanted to go outside while the temps were in the low teens! So, I whipped up a little at home and clean version of hot chocolate that can be served cold as chocolate milk or heated to desired temps! The results…
- 1 Cup of Milk (This can be regular or non dairy milk)
- 2 Pitted Dates (If you don't have dates on hand try adding 1 tablespoon of honey, agave or maple syrup)
- ½ Tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla if you are using regular milk
- Optional: ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon, chocolate shavings or chocolate chips and marshmallows to top!
- Combine all ingredients in your blender or Vitamix
- Drink cold or heat over a medium on your stove top to desired temperature
- Serve with chocolate shavings, marshmallows or other toppings
- In the summer this could also be blended with ice for an healthier milkshake.
This is a healthier alternative to some of the stuff you can find on the shelf! Look at all of these ingredients! Yikes!
Hope you are all staying warm!!
Happy Tuesday! Don’t forget to “hop” over the Health and Fitness Blog Hop if you missed my post yesterday! I’ve partnered up with 20 other great bloggers and we are giving away LOADS of amazing prices!!