Quick post and new recipe today!! We’ve got a full family day planned at a nearby amusement park!! Assuming the weather cooperates!
My eating habits haven’t changed at all since The 30 Clean. Still steering clear of all sugar, dairy and grains and not missing sugar at all. In fact I have found other great substitutes for carbs that satisfy that need for sugar. Loving plantains and of course SWEET POTATOES! I’ve been enjoying plantains roasted, sautéed and last week I tried grilled plantains!
Plantains are a great starchy fruit that’s packed with good carbs. Although I could easily live on sweet potatoes for breakfast lunch and dinner (seriously no joke) I have added more squashes (kabocha and spaghetti) and plantains to my diet
When the Hubs and I went to Costa Rica two summers ago I ate plantains every single morning for breakfast with my eggs, rice and beans!! Breakfast in Costa Rica was always my favorite meal. Actually, who am I kidding, breakfast is usually my favorite meal… ANYWHERE!
- 1 plantain medium ripeness
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil melted
- 2-3 teaspoons of cinnamon
- Optional: dark chocolate chips/shredded coconut/honey/maple syrup/almond or other nut butter
- Pre-heat grill to medium/high temperature
- Cut the plantain in half lengthwise to expose the plantain
- Brush the plantain flesh with melted coconut oil
- Place the plantain skin side up so that the flesh of the plantain is on the grill
- Grill 5-7 minutes depending on the size and thickness of your plantain
- Flip the plantain so that it is skin side down and grill for 1 more minute.
- Remove from the grill and top with cinnamon or other yummy toppings!!
- Pull back the remainder of the skin and enjoy!!
Aren’t those grill marks pretty? Anyways, next time you are at the store you should pick up a plantain and grill it up! Aside from grilling plantains my other favorite summer dessert is to grill pineapple!
If you want to go REALLY crazy and wild you can top your plantains with some ice cream or other frozen treats!! Just dig in an enjoy!
Have you ever had plantains? Do you have a favorite “dessert” that you like to put on the grill?