Happy Friday! Let’s talk food since that’s what this post is ALL about!
1) Being a food and fitness blogger has its perks and I love coming home to find boxes of goodies on my doorstep. Yesterday was much more then a box of goodies! Silver Hills Bakery sent me all these goodies! To all my neighborhood friends and family… bring your favorite kind of sandwich filling and I will gladly supply you with some bread to try! Just yesterday I tried the gluten free Chia Chia with my soup! It’s filling soft and so tasty!
I work with many clients on the autism spectrum who have gluten intolerances and I can’t wait to share some of this bread with them! Don’t need gluten free, well all the other Silver Hills products are sprouted grains!
What’s the value behind sprouted bread?
Sprouting is the key to unlocking the whole grain nutrition found inside this protective shell. When a grain is sprouted and begins to grow, it’s waking up from its dormant state to start the hard work of growing. Stored nutrients become readily available as enzymes activate and enzyme inhibitors, which inhibit digestion, are broken down along with phytic acid, an anti-nutrient that inhibits the absorption of nutrients (source.)
At Silver Hills Bakery they bake their breads using a unique sprouting process where they clean, rinse and soak the whole grains until they begin to sprout. These sprouted grains are then mashed into dough, joining the other organic, vegan and non-GMO (non-genetically modified) ingredients – that make up their delicious sprouted grain breads.
Another PLUS! Silver Hills products are ALL Vegan and Kosher!
2) A few weeks ago this package of love was also delivered to my door!We’ve been enjoying the milk in our coffees or in Sara’s case drinking it as a special treat! Last night I did this with some of the frozen mint chocolate coconut milk ice cubes!
Let me just start out by saying that you should run to your local store and get some of this stuff because it’s seasonal and won’t be around forever! The dairy free and healthy version of mint chocolate chip ice cream was a HUGE hit last night! Recipe coming next week!
3) I FINALLY found perfect sized kabocha squash on Tuesday and I couldn’t wait to roast some up. This is actually just one squash. In one dish is olive oil, sea salt and pepper and the other side is coconut oil and cinnamon! Both were awesome! I may have come close to eating all of this in one sitting with a little help from the Hubs! No shame!! Anyone else love this great seasonal and sometimes hard to find squash?
4) I have a slight addiction to these mints from Trader Joes! I used to carry a bag of their ginger chews but I found myself eating one too many and all of that chewing made my teeth hurt! These bite sized mints are perfect and I stash them in my purse, desk and car! I’ve never been a mint person but these have a great little ginger/spicy taste to them! Have you tried them?
5) I’m excited to doing a lot of cooking and entertaining this weekend! Here’s what on the possible list of getting made! This chili is SO happening on football Sunday and I think I am going to attempt some pumpkin desserts! Possibly this and this! Oh and who wants to come over and eat brussels sprouts with me made like this? I’m also hoping to experiment and create a new massaged kale salad recipe and a new soup! Better get cracking!
What’s on your cooking bucket list this weekend?
Disclosure: I was provided these products but all opinions are my own.