As I mentioned yesterday, Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday! I love the cooking, the friends, family and I love that for the most part my house is filled with people from morning until night! The front door turns into a revolving door! It’s awesome! My friend made a version of this crock pot oatmeal and I loved it. She passed the recipe onto me and I healthified it a bit. Unfortunately, the original recipe was passed to her by a co-worker and so we aren’t sure where it came from. However, I can assure that this version is awesome!
I made it Wednesday night and we woke up Thursday morning to an amazing smelling house. It makes a ton! It was great for all my morning visitors and would also be great to make at the beginning of the week and portion out for easy breakfasts. It re-heats great! I’m sure it would freeze wonderful too!
- 2 cups of steel cut oats
- 3 cups of unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or any kind of milk.)
- 3 cups of water
- 2-3 tablespoons of coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons of coconut butter ( I didn't try it with coconut oil but I'm sure that would work too as well as regular butter)
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 5 tablespoons of cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons of vanilla
- 4 tablespoons of flaxseed (optional)
- 6-7 peeled, cored and chopped apples. I roughly peeled mine. It doesn't have to be perfect
- Spray your crock pot very well with an olive oil mister or other cooking spray. (This is very important!)
- Throw all of the ingredients in and mix
- Cook on low for 7 hours
Top your oatmeal with chia seeds, nuts or berries!
This is the perfect time of year for a dish like this! It’s going on my brunch rotation and I’ll be making it for brunch/breakfast future parties!
Do you have a favorite brunch dish that you make?