Awhile ago the great folks at Kid Kritics contacted me about creating a healthy recipe using one of their featured products. Kid Kritics is a great site that focuses on healthy eating for kids! What makes something Kid Kritics approved?
- No bad fats (i.e. hydrogenated oils, trans-fats)
- No artificial additives (i.e. MSG, aspartame, dyes)
- No corn syrups
- Little to no caffeine
- No lab-sourced (synthetic lab-made) ingredients
- Acceptable amounts of naturally-sourced sugar
- Acceptable amounts of naturally-sourced sodium
- Source is natural – grows out of the ground, walks the earth, swims in water, flies in the air (i.e. sugar from sugar cane)
- Original nutrients not seriously diminished or eliminated in food processing (i.e. whole grains versus flour stripped of nutrients and bleached)
I was sent a couple boxes of Honey Rice Puffins which is from Barbara’s Bakery.
Sara and I immediately busted open a box to sample the cereal and boy was it tasty!! I spent a couple of days thinking about a healthy snack/dessert that I could make with this and over the weekend got to creating! The end result were these yummy Chocolate Peanut Butter Puffin Balls.
- 2 cups of Puffins Cereal
- ½ cup of natural peanut butter
- ¼ cup of honey
- 2T of unsweetened coco powder
- 1T of Milk ( I used unsweetened almond milk)
- Crush your cereal in a bag by hand or in your food processor.
- Place cereal in a large bowl.
- Combine peanut butter and honey and melt together over low heat on your stove.
- One peanut butter and honey are combined add in 2T of unsweetened coco powder and the milk.
- Combine your wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix until everything in combined.
- Store in an airtight container in your fridge.
Store in your fridge and enjoy! These are great for anyone… not just kids! Just ask the Hubs he polished off quite a few of them until Sara caught him and asked that he save some for her!