We had some serious thawing weather over here this weekend and it created a whole bunch of problems for so many people! It’s a bit of mess but we tried to make the best of it! It’s finally warm enough to play in the show and while the snow is heavy and not so pretty we had fun!
Yesterday we had ZERO plans on the calendar! To the Hubs and I that makes for a day of happiness but it’s not so fun for a 4 year old who loves being busy! Thankfully we filled the day with plenty of activities in the end.
I did get a 7 1/2 mile treadmill run in during the early morning! Finished in just over 1 hour!
Got a few things done around the kitchen including making an amazing soup for lunch!
I had purchased this huge bag of goodness at Costco yesterday and was excited to make something yummy with it!
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ½ onion, chopped
- 2 large or 3 small cloves garlic, minced
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 5 cups diced butternut squash
- 1 14-oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 5-6 cups of greens (kale, spinach, swiss chard) torn into bite-size pieces
- optional: dash of cayenee pepper
- In a soup pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and saute about 5-7 minutes minutes. Add celery and saute another 2-3 minutes.
- Add bay leaf and all spices and stir to coat. Add the vegetable broth, butternut squash, and chickpeas and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer covered 20-25 minutes, until squash is tender.
- Add in your fresh greens. This could be kale, spinach, swiss chard or a combo of anything! My soup was heavy on the greens!
- Continue to cook the soup for a couple of minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve
The combo of the spices made for an amazing flavor in the soup! Looking forward to having this for lunch this week!
I’ve also got a couple of winners to announce!
The winner of the Naked Edge Veggie Go’s Snack Sampler Pack is #371 Susan Miller
The winner of the Ohyo Water Bottles #46 Carrie Brown!
Congrats ladies be on the lookout for an email from me.
I’ll be back tomorrow with a great running survey!
What did you do this weekend?