Ben’s Birth Story Part 2

I’m linking up with Katie for another week of MIMM.  In case you missed  part 1 to Ben’s birthday story on Friday you can read it here before you read the conclusion!

1:00pm After calming down I was transferred to a room. At the hospital I was at, you labor, deliver and then stay in the same room. It was a huge room!!

The last belly picture.  37 weeks 5 days... and much more calm at this point!

The last belly picture. 37 weeks 5 days… and much more calm at this point!

I met the doctor who would be delivering you! Of course I had a friend look him up on the Internet to get his stats and story! He was wonderful and very calming. He warned me though that they would attempt a regular delivery but if things looked at all “fishy,” they would immediately go in and do a C-section.

2:00pm The nurses began to administer the Pitocin to induce labor. By this time I was much more calm and ready. The big picture was that I was in a perfectly great hospital, with doctors and nurses who were professionals. It wasn’t as though I was in a car in the middle of a snowstorm! The big picture was that you were coming today and we were ready for you!


3:00-7:00pm. Over the course of the afternoon your grandparents and uncle came to visit. I continued to labor and contractions increased but I wasn’t in too much pain. I moved around and didn’t want any drugs at this point as I felt as though I could handle everything. I drank lots of water, had a Popsicle and of course my Cocogo water.  I loved being surrounded by family. I was checked a couple of times throughout the afternoon and dilated a little bit but not too much.


7:15pm– There was a shift change with the nurses and the nurse came in and made a guess that you would be coming around the 2am hour. I told people they could go home and rest but no one wanted to leave.

8:00pm– The doctor walked in and began scanning all the papers with your heart rate. He looked at me and said, “this baby is talking to me and he wants OUT.”

Your dad and I took a deep breath as he began talking to be about a C-section. He explained the steps and what would take place. He said that at this point I was contacting every couple of minutes and there were too many “dips” occurring and you needed to come out. Your dad got dressed and I got prepped for surgery.

I knew C-sections weren’t the end of the world as most of my friends have had them and all did fine.

8:30pm I was in the operating room and meeting all the different people in there. Your dad was put in a “holding room” and they said they would get him when they were ready. The next 15 minutes were very fast. I was given a spinal block to prepare for the surgery and things were moving very fast.

8:50pm– Or sometime around that hour your dad came in. There was a large sheet put up just an inch from my nose. We couldn’t see anything. From that point on things happened fast.  Having a C-section feels WERID.  Just like my friends told me.  It’s not painful but it feels like someone it just pulling at your insides.  I kept telling your dad how weird things felt and kept asking the people in the room if everything was OK.  They assured me things were perfectly fine.


9:03pm- YOU were born! The doctor announced you were a boy and of course the water works started. I was sure you were a girl but your dad and your grandma were always insistent that you were a boy!  The cord was wrapped around your neck and torso.  So when you came out the doctor and nurses said… “oh, well now it makes sense!”  All of those heart rate dips were because of the cord wrapped around your body! You were totally fine though!!  Happy to be out and man did you have a set of lungs on you!!


9:45ish- I was in a recovery room and holding you in my arms. At just 5lbs15oz you were very long 21 inches!! Your length explains the reason I had so much pain in my ribs!!

11:00ish- I was back in our room and family was there to meet you and hold you! We had made it through the day. It didn’t quite go as planned but you were here and you were perfect and wonderful!

12:30am All of the family left and it was just your dad and I with you!

I didn’t sleep at all that night. Your dad crashed on the couch in our room but I was wide-awake. I thought about the day and what had transpired. I thought about the years it took to get to this point and how you, our true miracle was finally here!

For the next several hours while your dad slept, I held you…. Looked at you and thought in amazement how truly lucky our family was! I couldn’t wait for your sister to meet you!

Miracles really DO happen!




This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Ben’s Birth Story Part 2

  1. Nikki says:

    I love your story! Even though it’s not what you planned, it’s the end result that really matters. Enjoy your beautiful baby boy!

  2. Thanks for sharing your story – I just love reading birth stories! It turned out wonderfully and you have a beautiful baby boy on your hands! Congratulations!
    Megan (The Lyons’ Share) recently posted…Claim the MomentMy Profile

  3. Your story totally had me tearing up!! What a beautiful birth story, even if it wasn’t exactly what you had hoped for! Sounds like everything happened the way it needed to happy for a healthy baby boy!

    Also, where is that tank from (the one in the first picture)? It’s super cute!
    Stephanie @ My Freckled Life recently posted…Prepping for the insanityMy Profile

  4. So beautiful!
    Debbie @ Healthy Running Mom recently posted…Kelapo Coconut Oil Giveaway!My Profile

  5. Kim says:

    Truly a miracle!! So glad that you didn’t wait around when the movements weren’t happening. Sadly, I have a friend who experienced that (lack of movement) at 35 weeks but she waited over a day to go to the DR.
    Kim recently posted…There’s a National Day for ThatMy Profile

  6. Congratulations!!!

    PS – Love how you drank Cocogo at the hospital 🙂
    Nicole @ Foodie Loves Fitness recently posted…Weighing in on the “Curvy” Girl RevolutionMy Profile

Comments are closed.